What Happens When You’re Exposed to Mold?

There are over 100,000 species of mold, and all of them may be harmful. While not everyone is affected by mold at first, frequent exposure to mold can endanger your health in the long term. Mold exposure can cause over 30 health problems, including asthma, allergies, and other respiratory illnesses. 

Mold is one of those pesky problems nobody wants to have in their houses. However hard you try to avoid it however, you may still see several patches of mold now and then. Besides walls and wooden items, the carpeting is also a common target for mould growth as it readily attracts dirt and moisture.

While mould itself isn’t hazardous or poisonous, some molds produce mycotoxins.

Allergic reactions are a frequent outcome of exposure to mould, some people becoming more sensitive than others. The nature and time of the vulnerability also plays a role in the gravity of the symptoms. Signs that you are experiencing a mould allergy include eye irritation, stuffy nose, coughing and wheezing, throat irritation, and skin irritation.

Elevated levels of airborne mould spores can also trigger asthma attacks in people with the condition. Mold exposure may also result in the development of asthma in some children, particularly people who are genetically susceptible to asthma.

Other Health Problems

Mold exposure may also result in chronic sinus ailments. Even if the exposure to mould was not the main cause of the disease, people who suffer from chronic sinusitis should avoid any contact with mold to prevent additional problems.

In a study by The American Journal of Public Health, results reveal that mould in homes is connected to depression. There is something really ugly about mould, indeed.

People who have compromised immune systems, for example individuals with HIV, AIDS or individuals doing chemotherapy for cancer, are somewhat prone to mold-related illnesses.

Effects of Mold on Celebrities

Pets can be affected by mold in mostly the same way we are.

If pets ingest moldy food items, they can be affected by mycotoxins. Pets that eat this poisoned food may experience muscle spasms or body tremors. Constantly check the food you give to your pets and throw away any moldy foods in your home.

Since mold can grow in most areas of a home, check out what causes mold to grow in houses . Should you suspect your home harbors mould, learn how to detect mold in homes. For mould remediation support and flooding water damage repair, contact your regional PuroClean office.

Anyone can be affected by mould, even healthy adults. To avoid health problems brought on by mould in your home, be sure to fix any water harm immediately and keep indoor humidity in a safe level. Contact PuroClean for mould cleanup and water remediation services.